Monday, April 20, 2009

COOL-her.

I know I've been a little obsessed with Martha Stewart
these last few days,
and I promise I'll move on. Soon.
(there is just so much great stuff in the May issue!!)

For example:

I made these this afternoon...


(too bad the dogs can't have one, they look like they may melt into the floor)

Watermelon Coolers

8 cups 3/4 inch seedless watermelon cubes
(from 1/2 small watermelon, rind removed)
*plus more for garnish

Scant 2 and 1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
* one 1/4-ounce envelope

1/4 cup cold water

1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

1 and 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

mint of basil sprigs for garnish

1. Purée watermelon cubes in a blender/processor until smooth.
Press through fine sieve into large bowl and discard solids.
*measures 3 cups strained juice

2. Prepare ice-water bath.
Sprinkle gelatin over cold water, let stand until soft, 5 mins.
Bring 1/2 cup watermelon juice and salt to simmer
in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add softened gelatin, stirring to dissolve.
Strain into a bowl set in ice-water bath.
Stir in remaining 2 and 1/2 cups watermelon juice and lemon juice.

3. Let stand, stirring often until beginning to gel, 15-20 mins.
Divide among 4 glasses, garnish with watermelon cubes.
Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours or overnight.

4. Servce, garnished with mint or basil sprigs.

I can finally think straight again!
Thanks Martha!


*I think these would be GREAT with vodka... I'll have to try those next.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment