Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Take time to stop and EAT the roses....


My best friend in NYC just sent this recipe to me this afternoon,
and although I am trying to stop eating this stuff and squeeze
into my adorable navy Cosabella bikini soon,
I couldn't resist sending this along to you all.

They sound just too delectable to ignore.

Let me know how they turn out.

xx

Old German Rose Water Sugar Cookies

(Thanks to the Flower-Recipe E-Group for this recipe.)

* 1 c. sugar
* 1/2 c. room temperature butter
* 1 egg yolk
* 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
* 1 1/2 tsp. lemon extract (subst 3 or so drops of Lemon Oil for a much better flavor!)
* 1/2 tsp. baking soda
* 1/2 c. sour cream
* 1 1/2 tsp. rose water (ie, Rose Hydrosol)
* 1/8 tsp. salt
* 3 c. flour

Cream sugar and softened butter until smooth. Beat in yolk and flavorings. Combine baking soda and sour cream and stir into sugar mixture. Stir in rose water. Sift salt and flour; mix with batter. Roll out on floured surface and cut with cookie cutter.

Bake on greased sheets in preheated 325 degree oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Cooking time may shorten if cookies are small. This recipe has been enjoyed since 1850.

This version will give a very subtle rose flavor. If you want the flavor more pronounced, add a single drop of rose otto. (And I always use two or three drops of our organic Lemon oil in any recipe calling for lemon extract. I think the extract is yucky stuff ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment