Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Time Traveling Dog.


Benji is still hanging in there,
although they say Lymphoma is going to take him from us soon.

*Sweet Bear

We've been doing acupuncture twice a week
and he is on Chinese herbs as well.
Our goal is to keep him comfortable and supported as he makes his transition.

As challenging as it's been to know
that we are going to lose him,
its been really nice to lay low with him,
and enjoy our last summer together.

We've read The Time Traveler's Wife
from cover to cover
(536 pages of yummy- please DO read it if you haven't)
and seen the subsequent movie.

*Eric Bana is SO delicious.

(Ben stayed home for that one, but
I'm sure he would have liked the book better, as I did, anyway.)

We've done a 1000 piece puzzle...

*our first one was of an East-Coast seaside town

and started a 2nd.

We've caught up on a few months worth of shelter mags
(the July issue of British Homes and Gardens is immaculate-
we especially love Ian Mankin's new
Organic Linen Union ticking)

*Perfect organic doggy-bed fabric

(Benji informed me he'd like a new dog bed
fashioned out of the 'Night' colorway)

and of course we've managed to take a nap or ten.

In order to take care of myself,
and stay above water, as they say, in this trying time,
I have really gotten back to basics:
lazy summer days, light simple meals
(I made grilled farmer's market peaches that were to DIE for,)
and
the people that I love.

They've all come around to let us know we are loved,
and to make sure he knows how special he is to all of us.
And he does, I think. He knows.

Maybe he can come back to visit some day,
on a time travel mission,
and we can do a puzzle and grill some drumsticks.
(his favorite)

Until then, I'm thrilled to have my boy by my side,
as we take this one moment at a time,
and cherish the time that we have together.

I'll never forget what a great summer Benji has given me.

I hope you're enjoying yours as much as we are.

xx

Grilled Peaches:
(thanks Martha)

Peel, halve and pit 8 fresh peaches.

Preheat grill to high.
Combine the juice of 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon veg oil in a bowl.
Add peaches; toss to coat.
Place peaches (with liquid) on a large piece of
parchment-lined foil.

Stir together:
1.5 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon coarse salt.

Brush over peaches, fold foil to form a packet, crimping edges to seal.
Grill, covered for 15 mins.

Slice peaches, divide among 8 bowls,
and let cool for 5 mins.

Top with vanilla ice cream and serve.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment