Friday, July 3, 2009

Miracles in Bloom.


It's a miracle.

The internet is back in the wee cottage on Hudson Ave.

For a couple of weeks, things were a bit prickly around here.

Since I just got things up and running,
and am quite knackered from a fabulous day
(dog walk, Huevos Rancheros, 11am movie,
window shopping, leisurely lunch, good book, nap, hot bath
then dinner with friends,)

I will post more elaborately tomorrow.

BUT I just wanted to share what I woke up to
outside of my bedroom window this morning.

My organ-pipe cactus was in bloom.

These cactus flowers generally open at night for less than 24 hours,
bursting with brilliance out of their harsh, spiny wombs,
briefly sharing with the world their delicious aroma,
before closing up and turning back within.

Their scent is intoxicating:
Sweet, tropical, like Hawaii.

And they beg me to appreciate the small stuff,
the miracles that are in the everyday.

A delicate, fleeting blossom that shares its perfume in the summer evening air.

And high-speed internet.

Its the simple things.

xx

2 comments:

  1. Oh I want one of these cactus flowers! Gorgeous!

    Glad your back with us!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I send you its magnificent scent on a light summer breeze... and THANKS! It's great to be 'home'. xx

    ReplyDelete